2009/11/11

Retro Dishes

Recently, I have become curious about retro cooking (we're talking prior to the '70s here). Do you know that margarine commericial where there is the 'Butterton' family? It is a black and white picture in a retro looking kicthen. They are all sitting around the dinner table, each with a baked potato with an entire stick of butter on top. When I think of retro cooking, this is usually the image that comes to mind. So after discovering a few websites devoted to retro recipes, I decided to do some sleuthing of my own.

I soon realized that I had heard of many of these dishes before, but I didn't really know what they were. I have decided therefore, to try out these recipes for myself. I am planning on posting about many of the recipes that I try out so that we may all be enlightened. No, this is not an attempt to recreate 'Julie & Julia' for this is not a personal challenge to me, but merely a way to expand my culinary know-how. I also plan to include in these posts a little of the history about the dish.

Here are some of the dishes I am contemplating: Coq au Vin, Beef Stroganoff, Chicken a la King, Coquille St Jacques, Crepes Suzette, Eggs Mornay, Quiche Lorainne, Steak Diane, Vichysoisse, Ratatouille, and various canapes. I am particularly interested in retro casseroles. If you have any further suggestions or curiosities about a dish, please feel free to leave a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment