2009/09/09

The Great Grandma Theory

Recently, a friend shared with me her new food philsophy: Don't eat anything that your great grandmother wouldn't consider food. She said that from this theory, she decided to stop eating Pop Tarts.  I fully support this outlook and I think everyone should adopt a similar mantra.

This isn't the first idea of this kind that we've heard; many people promote eating less processed foods and extremists are raw vegans. I believe that the great grandma theory could greatly improve our health and also our appreciation for food in general. To back this up, I have come up with a short list of foods this way of thinking would elminate from our diet:
Cheez Whiz
Cool Whip
Energy/power bars & drinks
Kool Aid
Soda
Hamburger/Tuna/Chicken Helper
Hot dogs (especially those filled with "cheese")

As you can see, these are all things we shouldn't be eating anyway. You may argue "Hey, Hamburger Helper is just pasta or rice with spices and meat. I think G-Gma would have eaten that!". While it may be true that she would have eaten a similar meal, she wouldn't have gone out a bought a box full of processed ingredients and simply added meat. She would have made or purchased pasta, added her own spices (possibly even fresh herbs) and created her own meal.

Possibly the greatest benefit of this theory is that it forces us to think about what we are eating. Convience foods allow us to munch absentmindedly, consuming an infinte number of fat and calories without even realizing it. Making our own meals, begining with basic ingredients makes us aware of what is going into our foods and allows us to be in control of things like salt and fat content. I challenge everyone just to try out this theory in your next few meals.

4 comments:

  1. Are there any ingredients that G-Grandma wouldn't have eaten that ARE good for you???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, there are. A few that I can think of are: whole grain pasta, tofu, flax seed, pomegrante juice, and other new 'natural foods'. I think she would have eaten these things, had they been available to her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now, no offense Foodist, but what's wrong with Kool-Aid?? I know that I personally had a great grandmother that loved stirring up and drinking cups of the tasty sweet drink.
    So I did some asking around and I went to the man that's the expert on Kool-Aid (the big Kool-Aid pitcher dude). I asked him if it was ok to have Kool-Aid, and if great-grandmas would/did/do drink it. He heard what I asked, and busted through my brick wall and answered me, "OOOHHHH YYEEEEAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
    So is Kool-Aid really that 'taboo'?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that the 'Kool-Aid pitcher dude' might be a slight bit biased. I mean, I haven't had the pleasure of meeting him myself, but I believe he is a paid spokesperson...

    ReplyDelete